Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
A separate Cover Letter file in .doc or .docx format has been attached to the submission.
Cover Letter must include the following details:
- Type of submission (e.g. scholarly essay, creative text, photos, multimedia, etc)
- Submission title
- Author's name; Title/position; Institutional affiliation (if any); Email for correspondence; Address; Phone number
- Author's bio (max 100 words)
- Indicate whether you want your email to be published
- Comments: Is your work (or part of it) intended specifically to the UnderCurrents online issue? Is it a collection of works that may be published either in part or in full? Have you submitted this work to UnderCurrents before? Is there any other information you think is relevant to your submission?
- A separate Abstract file in .doc or .docx format has been attached to the submission. 100-150 words and 3-5 key words.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements of the MLA format.
- All references and notes are placed at the end of the text. Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- Artist/Author's Statement: if you wish, you may provide some details, description or context for your work. This may include, but not limited to: Description of a larger project from which this work is taken, special geo-political circumstances your work engages with, or a personal statement to be published along with your creative work. This statement is an extra space for you to provide reviewers with information. It will NOT be published, unless requested by the artist/author.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant UnderCurrents right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).